Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I'm starting to feel homesick....can Christmas hurry up?

I wanted to share with you a little bit about my ACTUAL hometown. While there is a great deal of pride associated with the town I (and my siblings, cousins, etc.) attend (ed) high school - there is a greater sense of attachment to my hometown of Gaylord.

Its the town where my dad was raised, my family still lives and my heart will forever call "Home." Its particularly heart-warming this year to see this video as we haven't been there since September and will spend a few days there at Christmastime.

The TV station in Nebraska has a segment entitled "The Road Less Traveled" which spotlights little towns across Nebraska and Kansas and episode #220 was about Gaylord.

You'll notice Grandma Godsey right smack in the front - she will always be (even if she's the only one) an advocate of our small town (particularly of its watermelon day celebration - which she is shamelessly promoting even on this video). While we give her a hard time about it - we know her hearts in the right place. You won't see Grandpa in the video, he's more of the "Behind the Scenes" type - right Grandpa?

When you get a little further into the video you'll notice a group of 5 or 6 individuals standing and waving infront of a small grain elevator office - you'll notice my dad right in the middle. He's a little embarrassed and laughing - which is pretty typical of dad. The elevator is just one of a handful of businesses still open in Gaylord and my family has been fortunate enough to be a part of the Frieling Grain family for more than 15 years.

I wanted to share with you this video and express my elation towards the upcoming holiday season and our return to my hometown - even if it is for only a few short days!

I'm very excited to see all the people in my life that have meant so much to me!

So if you care too, this link will take you to the NTV Road Less Traveled Section, scroll down until you find Town #220 which is Gaylord, KS (Smith County).

1 comment:

  1. Population 140"ish"...haha! That has to be your grandma - you look like her a lot!

    ReplyDelete