Saturday, March 13, 2010

"Smells good...whatcha making?"

In graduate school - we often got to experience samplings from our friend Luke's mom.

She had a ton of easy recipe's in her arsenal that always left you gasping, "That was amazing."

Before we moved away - I borrowed her cookbook she made Luke and stole some recipes.

Among them, was one of the best spagetti sauce recipes we've ever tasted. But, I don't readily keep the ingredients that recipe call for on hand.

So I've had to modify the recipe. I really think it gives her's a run-for-the-money. Or its a decent substitute anyway.

The reason I'm sharing is two-fold:

1. I needed to write the recipe down before I forgot and my typing fingers are faster than my pen fingers.

and

2. If I go too long without a blog post - our parents think something's wrong (I haven't posted since the beginning of the week - and I've been busy).

I dare you to try it. Double-dog dare you. Once you've had spagetti sauce that's both savory and sweet - you'll never want it any other way. I promise.

Brown 1/2 lb. ground beef, drain the grease. Some people season their ground beef - I tend to overseason the sauce part so my beef doesn't need anything.

In a seperate sauce pan mix together:

1 can tomato soup
1/2 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tbsp yellow or white onion, diced
3 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt

Heat to slow boil, covered. Mix in browned ground beef.

Heat to boil again. Mix in 1/2 tsp oregano and let simmer.

My measurements are always "approximate" and I tend to add ingredients based on my mood - I've added rosemary or thyme on occasion.

We've just now (I know) realized that cooking 1/2 lb. of ground beef is plenty for two people. The only down fall - leftover weekends don't leave us with many leftovers since we don't cook as much.

Modify as you see fit. But mostly, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment